WebYeshiva.org Halachah Mastery Program & Machon Melechet Shamayim
PRACTICAL SAFRUT COURSE LEADING TO CERTIFICATION AS A SOFER STAM
The next course will begin January 15, 2017
To apply click HERE and select ‘Sofer Stam Certification.’
Learn the holy art of Safrut and become certified as a Sofer Stam, a wonderful way to express your love for Hashem artistically. Write for yourself, write for others! Master the theoretical and practical laws, skills, and techniques to become a ritual scribe (suitable for minhag Ashkenazi, Sepharadi, Ari, Edot Hamizrach) by live interactive video-conferencing and 1-on-1 tutoring wherever you live with Rav Eliezer Adam – Master Sofer.
The syllabus is made up of 7 units (over 10 weeks):
Each unit includes progress in Halacha (workbook and online class) and writing practice (based on online class), and is supplemented by ongoing email and phone/video support between classes and for up to one year after completing the course.
The weekly units are as follows:
- Mishnat Sofrim, writing with double pencil, equipment set-up.
- Keset HaSofer 1-9, fundamentals of kulmus-ink writing, hak tochot, writing on paper.
- Keset HaSofer 10-12, klaf-choosing and finishing, kedushat ha-shemot. Writing with film on paper (8 mm).
- Mishneh Berurah part 1, writing refinements (theory – part 1), ketivah tamah. Writing with film on klaf (8 mm).
- Kulmus preparation, corrections, writing refinements (theory – part 2), tagim. Writing with film on klaf (6 mm).
- Mishneh Berurah part 2, petuchot and setumot, din ke-sidran. Writing with film on klaf (6 mm).
- Lishkat HaKodesh questionnaire, preparation for Halachic test , writing refinements via writing Kosher Mezuzot.
Upon successful completion of all 7 units participants will have certification (having passed exam) and be able to write Megillot or Mezuzot at “entry-level” quality, and will continue writing and getting ongoing guidance during first year after course.
Class meets by live interactive video conference Sundays at 6:30-8:00 pm (Jerusalem time) for 10 sessions beginning November 20, 2016.
All courses are video archived for review. It is assumed that participants will invest approximately 6 hours each week in review, preparation, and practice writing, and will submit work samples on a weekly basis.
Course instruction is in English but some course materials are in Hebrew and students are presumed to possess mastery of Hebrew texts and a solid grounding in Torah study. Please note space is limited.
TO READ STUDENT TESTIMONIALS CLICK HERE
SAFRUT PROGRAM FAQS CLICK HERE
Tuition: $900 (US) / NIS 3,500
Tuition does not include cost of supplies. Click here for a list of required supplies, and links for online purchases for participants without easy local access.
Additional requirements: Internet access, integrated mic-headphone, video camera and access to a scanner required for participation.
Rav Eliezer Adam learned safrut in 1978, and is certified by the Chief Rabbinate of Israel, Badatz Machzikei HaDat (Belz), and Va’ad Mishmeret Stam, and founded Machon Melechet Shamayim in 1995, where he has trained over 2,500 sofrim, many achieving prominence as master sofrim and teachers themselves. His book Yalkut Stam has been printed seven times, and is used by sofrim worldwide.